Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

A Day To Say "Thank-You"


If you are related to anyone who served (or currently serves) in any branch of the Armed Forces, today is a day to say "Thank You" to them for their service.

My grandfather, Ray Koenig, served in the U.S. Army during World War II.  He was part of the Normandy invasion (parachuting behind enemy lines)...


And the Battle of the Bulge, where he spent long periods in a frozen foxhole trying to avoid enemy fire...



He passed away in 2010, but today is a day to honor his memory and the memories of all who gave their lives (or limbs or souls or families) in support of our great nation.

Even if it may feel uncomfortable (as veterans may not be all that open to talking about their wartime experiences), PLEASE at least just tell them "thanks".  Most of the time, that is all that is needed.




"What shall be our legacy? 
What will our children say? 
Let them say of me
I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings
I received
Let me know in my heart
When my days are through
America
America
I gave my best to you"