Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Two Historic Events...Remembered

Yesterday, the world lost a great man & leader in Nelson Mandela.  I wish I could say that I knew more about Mr. Mandela, but to be honest I probably learned the most about him from the Clint Eastwood-directed movie "Invictus", where Mandela was portrayed by Morgan Freeman.  A good movie, if you are ever interested...





Also, tomorrow (12/7/41) is Pearl Harbor Day.  In 2005, I was lucky enough (on a music trip with the University of Minnesota-Morris) to be able to see the harbor itself and the U.S.S. Arizona memorial:




My most vivid memory of that trip is standing on the memorial looking down into the waters of the harbor, where oil from huge submerged tankards (that were sank on the day of the invasion) is still leaking to the surface all these years later.