Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Farewell, Metrodome...

The Long Goodbye To The Metrodome

Right now, this is what the Metrodome looks like...


To me, this is one of the most surreal pictures I've ever seen.  It is just mind-bogglingly strange to see the inside of the Dome not swathed in those blue seats.

Whether maligned or praised, our sporting stadiums are places where we gather to experience a wide range of emotions.  Even though the Dome was pretty much a crap stadium right from the get-go, the people of Minnesota experienced many great times under the Teflon roof.

Employees Say Goodbye

For me personally, while I never saw a Vikings game at the Dome, I saw a ton of Twins baseball games with various family members.  It is strange to me that some day I'll tell my children (like my Dad tells me about Metropolitan Stadium) I saw baseball played under a white roof, with a "Hefty Bag" out in right field, and chomped on Dome Dogs while watching the ball bounce like a super ball on the bright green turf.

Barring high winds, the Dome is set to be deflated one final time tomorrow (Jan. 18).


If I happen to not be doing anything at that time, and if the process is televised/streamed, I may just give it a glance and remember all the great times/people I shared inside its walls.  I don't really want to remember the Metrodome...but I'll never forget it, either.