Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bowling: A Frustrating Sport

A humorous post from my personal life...

Soon after I started working down here in the Media Center, I began bowling on a consistent basis.  I even went "all in", getting a brand spanking new bowling ball, shoes, and carrying case.



The first couple weeks of bowling, I got the most incredible case of "beginners luck" in history.  I got the highest score of my life (222) and a handful of other games above that magical 200 mark.



Then, reality set in.  Once I joined a league, I figured that my average would be around 150-160 or even better.  Two months later, I was slogging around with 120-140 games.



Simply put, bowling can be an incredibly frustrating sport!  Though you don't have to look like an "elite athlete" (like in football, baseball, or basketball) to bowl, it takes superb body control and incredible repetition.  One inch that way, one degree of wrist turn, or one second too slow/fast in releasing the ball and all of a sudden disaster strikes.



Recently, however, I have turned my fortunes around a bit with scores routinely topping 150 (where I want to be at this point).  It's been a while since that last 200 game, but there have been a few 180s and 190s in the mix.

But hey, at least I'm not this guy (yet...!):



In all seriousness, bowling is a really fun sport.  Like many other things in life, it will reward you concurrent with the amount of effort you put into it.  I strongly encourage anyone looking for a fun hobby to give it a try!