Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

My Take On The Oscars


I'm a big "movie guy", so this Sunday night I will be excited to watch the Academy Awards!  I realize that the awards (also dubbed "The Oscars" for the iconic golden statue that is given out for each award won) are little more than Hollywood celebrating itself, but I have to admit it is kind of fun to see all the big stars rubbing elbows on the same night.

A couple of days ago, I read an article saying that 75% of American film-goers had not seen even ONE of the movies nominated for "Best Picture".  Yikes!  Granted, I would consider this to be a relatively weak year for movies, but still.  It doesn't help that two movies that should have been nominated ("Prisoners", "Saving Mr. Banks") were left out.

Here, then, are who/what I would like to see win the major awards of the night...

Best Picture: Captain Phillips
-12 Years A Slave will likely take home the gold, but I think this Tom Hanks masterpiece deserves it.  Incredible suspense and easily the most powerful ending of a movie I've seen in quite some time.

Best Actor: Christian Bale (American Hustle)
-I'm being really biased here, because I just can't bring myself to write down the name Matthew McConaughey for any major award.  Bale is a personal favorite of mine and one of the "good guys" of Hollywood, so again, bias.

Best Actress: Amy Adams (American Hustle)
-You know you've turned in a great performance when you can out-act Jennifer Lawrence in a movie!

Best Supporting Actor: Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
-Playing a mean-looking Somali pirate, Minnesota-boy Abdi came from nowhere (well, driving a limo, actually) to out-act such talents as Bradley Cooper and Jared Leto.

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
-Kind of a weak category here, and Lawrence shined in her small role.

Best Director: David O. Russell (American Hustle)
-It's not easy taking an absolutely crazy movie (which American Hustle most surely was) and turning it into a rollicking good time.

Best Original Screenplay: Her
-The best "interesting concept" (man falls in love with smartphone) movie of the year.

Will you be tuning in?  If so, who do you want to see take home each award?