Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Jury Duty: The Verdict


I have now completed my service of jury duty and, not to make myself sound even stranger than I already am (!), I actually enjoyed it.

I realize that our court system is far, far from perfect and that there are many flaws in the process, but at least a trial is always given.  In order to produce a fair verdict for that trial, impartial (knowing nothing about the case) jurors are needed.  Without them, the entire process falls apart.

I'm not going to go into the details of the case I listened to, but suffice it to say that the charges leveled at the accused would have been enough to produce prison time.  Our verdict was not-guilty, and I feel good with my decision.

Most people complain about jury duty and look to get out of it whenever possible, but I found the experience very educational and interesting.