Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Jury Duty: Blessing or Curse?

Well, I thought it would be interesting to write about an experience I am going through this week: jury duty.



In our system of justice, when a person is charged with a crime, he/she is guaranteed a trial by people that know nothing about the case, or the jury.



The jury sits and hears both sides of the case, and then must reach a verdict.  In some cases all jurors must vote the same way (unanimous verdict), while in others only a majority is needed.

As a juror, I am not allowed to talk about any details of the case I am hearing.  I'm not even supposed to hear any news about the case, read about it, or put anything on social media about it.  Basically, the judge has to make sure that the person being accused of a crime has the fairest trial possible.



Oftentimes, jury duty is looked at as somewhat of a prison sentence...



While I can see how some people would view it as such (messes with work schedules, payments, etc.), I am actually kind of excited (and a bit nervous) to serve on my jury.  I have an awful lot of responsibility in my hands, and I intend on taking it seriously.  The accused party is counting on me to be as fair as possible.



Plus, on the funnier side of things, it allows me to live out some of my favorite courtroom film dramas...






I doubt that my case will be quite as exciting as those, but I guess you never know.